Several fires broke out in Texas last week when a historic winter storm ravaged the state, leaving millions without power and water.
In one of the tragic fires, three children and their grandmother’s lives were claimed in a house fire in Sugar Land, Texas, while the mother of the children, Jackie Pham Nguyen, survived, CNN reported.
Olivia, 11, Edison, 8, Colette, 5, and their grandmother Loan Le, who had come over to her daughter’s place when her power went out during the storm, were playing board games and lit the fireplace to keep warm as the power went out.
“Tucked my kids into bed, and really the next thing I know, I’m in the hospital. A few hours later, the fireman and police officer came and said that no one else made it,” Nguyen told CNN.
Sugar Land Fire Department (SLFD) spokesman Doug Adolph told the Houston Chronicle that the fire remains under investigation.
A GoFundMe page has been set up for the family. The entire house was lost in the fire.
A fire engulfed an apartment complex in San Antonio, Texas
According to ABC News, a fire broke out in a San Antonio apartment on February 19, and resulted in parts of the building collapsing.
About fifteen water tender trucks were brought in to put out the fire after realizing the private hydrants on the property were empty. About 125 firefighters from 13 different departments worked on the scene.
The trucks took turns filling up on water from hydrants located about 2,000 feet away from the fire. Each truck can carry between 2,000 and 3,000 gallons of water and can be exhausted in minutes.
No injuries were reported, and 130 people were evacuated to a nearby school gymnasium and hotel.
Killeen, Texas Police Department issue a warning on twitter about a fire at the Hilton Garden INN
Another fire broke out at Hilton Garden Inn on February 20 in Killeen, Texas. According to 10KWTX news, guests smelled gas the day before.
The Killeen Fire Department has not determined the cause of the fire; however, the hotel’s automatic sprinklers failed to respond due to being frozen.
A few days before, guests had witnessed hotel employees mopping up water dripping from the pipes that had burst because of the low temperatures.
Wiki Production Code: A0651